Amid rapidly escalating tensions and provocative actions between the U.S., Iran, and partners in the region, the ACNSL concludes the best and only path forward to securing stability is through diplomacy. While the U.S. must quickly move to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons through an aggressive and well-coordinated diplomatic campaign, we must also simultaneously work with the international community to condemn and counter Iranian efforts to destabilize the region. Previous Iranian aggravations in the gulf including the seizing of allied oil tankers, the continued armament of Hezbollah and other terrorist groups, and coordinated attacks against Saudi oil fields demonstrate the ineffectiveness of the administration’s “maximum pressure” campaign to resolve Iranian activities against U.S. interests.
The U.S. withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and reinstatement of extensive sanctions against Iranian political and economic figures only raises the stature of the radical and hostile elements within the Iranian political sphere, diminishing any likelihood of a peaceful resolution while giving rise to an increasing chance of war by choice or blunder. The ideal outcome of securing U.S. national security interests and the protection of partners and allies in the region requires an assertive diplomatic campaign to reduce tensions and escalating provocations.
ACNSL Publications – Iran
1. Letter: ACNSL Letter to the President- Escalating Tensions in the Gulf
2. Letter: ACNSL Letter to the President- JCPOA & Iranian Peace Deal
Publication: 24th May 2019 via War on the Rocks
3. Letter: ACNSL- Iran Statement 12th July 2019
ACNSL Op-Eds – Iran
1. 21st June 2019: Rear Admiral Michael Smith via Lobelog
2. 1st July 2019: Brigadier General Don Harvel via Newsweek
ACNSL Media – Iran
1. 13th June 19: PBS Newshour on Oil Tanker Attacks and Iran Involvement
2. 24th May 19 via The Hill: Over 70 retired military leaders sign letter
3. 30th May 19 via The National Interest: Ex-Military Line Up Against War in Iran